Monday 13 April 2009

Drawing (Non) Space...

Drawing is what I do when I don't know what to do. I draw, I make, I re-draw, I re- make. Having this circular process means one discipline isn't raised abve the other, no hierarchy. Material on paper is what drawing is usually seen as...line on paper. But when line wants to leave the surface, wants to extend into three dimensional space it becomes something else, sculpture, installation but can it still function as a drawing...
Photography. Capturing this liminal space between drawing and sculpture.The installations I build are captured in a photograph but sometimes the photographs become line and material. The black of the three dimensional forms looks like a burn on the surface...
And space... Architectural space... has invaded these questions. Corners. Building installations in corners, capturing form and corner in photographs. The corner looks like a pencil line.
And what is the object in photography? Sculptural but drawn?...

No comments:

Post a Comment