Thursday 2 April 2009

Day in, Day out
"Day in, Day out" reflects the soul crushing, brain frying two and a half years spent sitting in a horrible office chair, selling a product I don't believe in and repeating myself so many times a day it becomes meaningless. Having a sketchbook in hand at that time was a life saver, in maintaining my art practice and saving my creativity from suicide. This made me think of Ronald Searle, who during WWII was stationed in Singapore which then fell to the hands of the Japanese, and was taken as a prisoner where he produced these amazing depictions of the brutal conditions in the POW camp. He drew over 300 drawings of prisoners, guards, officers and various different scenes whenever he was able to, hiding what he'd done under the mattresses of cholera victims for safe keeping.
To be in that god awful unpleasant position and still able to make art means a lot to me, receiving my utmost respect. Similar could be said of the photo journalists risking their lives in the firing line of war torn countries, a passion and their occupation where as Searle was a prisoner, in the centre of his own subject matter, in his own art. I'm not trying to compare myself to Ronald Searle that would be preposterous, but whatever depressing or awful situation you may be in, Art can be your saviour to an extent.
Depicting the situation helps, like a visual alternative to getting something off your chest. Although Mr Searle my have had other reasons. This is why I love the whole idea of a sketchbook, like a visual diary and I think that’s why I haven't produced much bigger work or "Final work" (which there is no such thing in my opinion) until starting the MA.
With a sketchbook it’s more precious and sentimental, as with bigger work I feel more distant and lost at times. idiosyncrasies excite me, when a sketchbook is finished and you flick back through it, feeling the weight of the life you put into the sketchbook. The turned up corners of the pages is a rewarding feature and the dirtier the pages are, the better.

Worth its weight in gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment