Monday 1 June 2009

Project Space Leeds Volunteering

Wednesday 27th of May I started doing some volunteering at PSL.

Just some thoughts/ideas that I got from Wednesday...

Artist run spaces. What do they add to a community/society?
Being able to talk freely to the artist(s) chat, see work in process, how does this change how art is perceived by the public?
Project Space Leeds are studios were the experimenting, making, logging, archiving, exhibiting of works happens but also a majority of the artist groups that are there tend also to take their work outside of the studio, in the form of events, research trips, design and publications. This raises ideas based around my own practise of studio based knowledge and how that can then be taken and used elsewhere. What was also evident was that the groups that use the space to make, experiment and exhibit their outcomes, change the 'exhibiting' part quite frequently. Exhibiting what they've made, using the space to experiment with positioning and how works can be viewed never stays static for more then a few days. I like this idea of carrying on with what has been made, never stopping, always altering, changing, then place...then new ideas arrive and what is exhibited goes through this state of transformation, constant thinking, then shown again and the process goes on. For me it is a constant.
I was really annoyed with myself when I got their because I didn't take one of my own postcards along. People chatted to me, asked me what kind of work I made and it would have been nice to give them an image of my work, for it finally to be out their and to be seen, for it to contribute towards some kind of knowledge. Never mind on my next day there I will remember to take my postcards along and in the mean time make new ones...

No comments:

Post a Comment